Position Description: Campaigns Manager
Role: Campaigns Manager
Renumeration: $100,000 per annum + Superannuation
Working hours: Full time, 38 hrs/week
Term: 1 year
Responsible to: CEO
Location: Remote, with travel required to perform some duties of the role. (Preferably NSW or VIC based. Note: If Sydney based, there is a shared office you could work from).
About the organisation
Founded in 2020, Surfers for Climate is a non-partisan Australian charity dedicated to turning the tide on climate change. Our mission is to empower and mobilise surfers for positive climate action, so that surfers can continue riding waves in thriving oceans now and for generations to come.
We work to:
- Educate, empower and grow the movement of surfers who care about climate
- Help surfers support and implement climate solutions in their everyday lives
- Grow coastal community support for the transition to renewables
- Draw a line in the sand, working to see no new oil or gas projects in Australian waters by 2028.
We do this through advocacy, storytelling, community engagement, events and programs.
Purpose of the role
The purpose of this role is to lead the development and delivery of Surfers for Climate’s campaigns to stop new fossil fuel projects in our oceans, and to support climate solutions in coastal communities.
- Lead the design, management and delivery of campaigns and advocacy programs.
- Ensure our work is impactful and relevant by keeping your finger on the pulse on all things climate change, energy, politics and coastal communities (e.g. through research and analysis, and monitoring of the media)
- Design tactics to mobilise new and existing members that grow our impact.
- Contribute to organisational strategy, projects, communications and planning.
- Support the Operations Manager to manage our database, website, and social media.
- Develop and write campaign communications such as eDMs, webpage content and media releases.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders including politicians, community members, and partners.
- Publicly represent Surfers for Climate and our work at events, meetings and in the media.
- Manage project budgets and expenditure.
- Regularly track and report on campaign and project progress, learnings and outcomes.
- At least two years experience developing and delivering campaigns that drive real-world change either in the non-profit or commercial sectors.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships and effective partnerships.
- Strong project management, planning and organising skills, including the ability to effectively adjust plans to rapidly changing circumstances.
- Effective time management skills, in particular the ability to plan, organise and prioritise multiple projects and maintain tight deadlines.
- Strong ability to think critically and strategically.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to take initiative, improvise and solve problems with a can-do attitude.
- Self-motivated team player, with strong interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to work with community members and politicians from all sides of politics (ideally you have experience doing this).
- Willingness to paddle out when it’s big, and take-off deep (ie - you know how to calculate risk to get the reward).
- A basic understanding of politics and all levels of government.
- A basic understanding of climate and energy policy.
- Identification with and belief in Surfers for Climate values.
- Bachelor's degree in communications, marketing, policy, or another related field.
- Existing relationships with, and/or experience engaging with communities, politicians and other key stakeholders.
- Experience using tools such as Canva, Google Suite, TypeForm, CRMs and CMS.
- Experience managing project budgets and expenditure.
- Familiarity with Australian surf culture and surf industry stakeholders
- Current or previous connection to coastal communities
Applicants who meet some, but not all of the selection criteria are still encouraged to apply.
Why work with Surfers for Climate?
We’re a small, passionate, committed team that’s punching above its weight.
- We pride ourselves on creating and maintaining positive relationships with all stakeholders.
- Flexibility to work from anywhere - home, a shared office or by the beach if the surf’s pumping.
- We’re changing the world for the better, and that’s pretty rad.
- You’ll receive dedicated coaching and mentoring from one of our partners.
- You’ll have some opportunities to travel to some of the best coastlines of Australia
How to apply
Applications are due by 9am Friday 15th December 2023.
To apply for this position please submit the following via direct email to Josh Kirkman, CEO of Surfers for Climate (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- A cover letter explaining your interest in the role and addressing the selection criteria drawing from your own experiences (3 pages max)
- Your CV (3 pages max)
If you’ve got any questions regarding the position or application process, please reach out to Josh for a confidential discussion on 0421 594 487 or email@example.com.